Monday, April 13, 2015

A letter appeared in the columns of the Carlisle Journal

A letter appeared in the columns of the Carlisle Journal

A letter appeared in the columns of the Carlisle Journal



A letter appeared in the columns of the Carlisle Journal, dated September 16th, 1823, touching facetiously upon a point which, in later years, has been successfully carried out. The writer says:

Sir,As a great admirer of athletic sports, I always make a point of being present at the wrestling at our races, but being "small of stature," I frequently miss a good deal of the sport. To gain a complete view I should willingly pay a small sum, and I have no doubt if those concerned in the management of the sports would provide seats for those willing to pay, that they would be soon filled, and the funds be materially increased, as well as a great convenience granted to me and those of my fellow creatures who have not the good fortune to be above six feet. I am, Sir, &c.,


No comments:

Post a Comment